LAS VEGAS, Nev.–The University of Hawai’i (4-3) men’s tennis team won its fourth straight game Sunday with a 4-0 win over New Mexico State. All four of UH’s victories came in Las Vegas, Nevada at UNLV’s Fertitta Tennis Complex. It was Hawai’i’s second sweep in three days.
In doubles, the Rainbow Warriors beat the Aggies for the first point of the day. UH’s No. 1 duo of Andre Ilagan and Karl Collins finished first with a 6-2 win over NMSU’s Jordy Visser and Yehor Opanasenko. Axel Labrunie and Killian Maitre combined to defeat NMSU’s Corey Clarke and Roko Stipetic in a tiebreaker 7-6 (5) in the No. 2 seed and claim the first point.
In singles, the ‘Bows kept their momentum going as they won three to seal the sweep. Hawai’i Maitre defeated 6th-ranked Opanasenko 6-2, 6-2 at the start. 41st-ranked Ilagan then held off Clarke with a break in both sets 6-4, 6-4 and A. Labrunie won the match with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Visser.
Having started the season 3-0 in doubles games, Hawaii has now set a winning record for the first time in 2023. Next, the Rainbow Warriors return home to host a singles game against Azusa Pacific on February 10, 2023 at 3:00 p.m. HT at the UH Tennis Complex before hitting the streets again in March.
Hawaii 4, State of New Mexico 0
at the Fertitta Tennis Complex – Las Vegas, Nev.
January 29, 2023
competition in singles
1. #41 Andre Ilagan (UH)Def. Corey Clarke (NMSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Axel Labrunie (UH) Def. Jordy Visser (NMSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Guillaume Tattevin (UH) vs. Itay Feign (NMSU) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
4. Lucas Labrunie (UH) vs. Roko Stipetic (NMSU) 4-6, 6-4, unfinished
5. Andy Hernandez (UH) vs. Luca Fe D’Ostiani (NMSU) 6-4, 1-6, 0-2, unfinished
6. Killian Maitre (UH)Def Yehor Opanasenko (NMSU) 6-2, 6-2
competition in doubles
1. Andre Ilagan/Karl Collins (UH) Def. Jordy Visser/Yehor Opanasenko (NMSU) 6-2
2. Axel Labrunie/Killian Maitre (UH) Def. Corey Clarke/Roko Stipetic (NMSU) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Lucas Labrunie/Andy Hernandez (UH) vs. Luca Fe D’Ostiani/Itay Feign (NMSU) 6-6, unfinished
State of New Mexico 0-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2); Single (6,1,2)