Hello, everyone. I’ll be back in your inbox this winter morning to take you through key things happening locally.
But first today’s weather:
Mostly sunny and cold. High: 30 Low: 20.
🏘️ Want to differentiate yourself from other real estate agents in Reno? Partner with Reno Patch and gain access to a targeted, engaged audience through our premium newsletter sponsorships. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top three stories in Reno today:
- The Reno Police Department has occupied all police officer posts it has budget for, but officials say that the The city needs more officials. Since 2008, the city lost 48 officer posts even during the city population crew 23% in the same amount of time, meaning the city has fewer officers per capita overall than other cities of similar size. (Reno Gazette Journal)
- Sky Tavern ski resort fundraiser successfully raised the $2.4 million needed to purchase snowmaking equipment. The new equipment will be enough to cover the front half of the resort’s 143 acres. The non-profit ski area plans a second fundraiser to buy more snow machines cover the remaining hectares. (Subscription: Reno Gazette Journal)
- Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve released a statement on the death of Tire Nichols over the weekend. In the statement, Shieve denounced the actions of the former police officers involved in Nichols’ death provided links to resources for people in need of support. (press office)
From our sponsor:
Today’s Reno Patch Newsletter is partially provided by T-Mobile. T-Mobile has invested billions to shine a light on its best-ever network, bringing LTE to 99% of the people of America, helping to keep communities like ours informed and connected. We thank T-Mobile for their support and for making today’s Reno patch newsletter possible.
- Are you looking for a new job? This is for you! Check out this week Summary of job vacancies in the Reno area and learn about jobs in customer service, business services, sales, marketing and more! (Reno patch)
- It’s almost February and there’s a lot to look forward to! Here is a List of five things to do in the Reno area this week including a writer’s talk with webomic artist Randall Munroe and LEGO® BattleBots at The Discovery. (Subscription: This is Reno)
- Science Distilled is back at the Discovery Museum for the New Year! Join the conversations with scientists from the Desert Research Institute their experiences in Greenland. (Nevada Humanities via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
You’re all caught up for today! See you tomorrow for another update.
— Miranda Fraraccio
About me: Miranda Fraraccio is a staff writer for content creation agency Lightning Media Partners. She is a graduate of the University of Rhode Island, where she earned degrees in Writing & Rhetoric and Communication Studies. In her free time, she can be found travelling, drinking tea or practicing film photography.